castle end Mar-Sep: noon-5pm; Oct: noon-4pm - gardens end Mar-Sep: 10am-6pm; Oct: 10am-5pm; Nov-end Mar: weekends 10am-4pm (Feb school hols: daily)
Built between 1605 and 1614, Audley End House was owned by Thomas Howard, Earl of Suffolk and Lord High Treasurer, and was one of the greatest Jacobean houses in England. It was partially demolished in 1721. The interior was recreated by Robert Adam and the grounds redesigned by Capability Brown. The present house is still large but is but a shadow of its former glory.