house: early Mar-end Oct: noon-5pm; rest of year: guided tour by prior booking; park and gardens 10am-5pm
This splendid Palladian villa, built from mellow Bath stone and overlooking a lush stretch of the Thames Valley, was built by John Carr in 1776. It was saved from demolition in 1952 by Lord and Lady Iliffe, who restored it and donated it to the National Trust in 1978. The west front is dominated by an immense portico, supported by four Ionic columns. This beautifully restored house is rich in exquisite plasterwork on its walls and ceilings.