1
St Edmundsbury Cathedral
Angel Hill, Bury St Edmunds IP33 1LS Route Planner
The Green Guide

Useful information

Opening hours

Sun-Fri 7.15am-6pm, Sat 8.15am-6pm

Description

Bury Parish Church since 1530, it was dedicated to St James but changed its name when it was granted cathedral status in 1914 when it took the name of St Edmund. A perfect late Perpendicular composition of 9 bays leads the eye to the chancel and transept by Stephen Dykes Bower (1960). Note the Flemish stained-glass Susanna window (c. 1480) and the roof with carvings of angels dating from the 19C.

Localisation

  • Route from this place
  • Directions to this place
  • Route via this place
  • Nearby hotels
  • Nearby restaurants

Things to see and donearby

Where to sleepnearby

Where to eatnearby