guided tour every hr 8.30am-6.30pm, Sun 8.30am-12.30pm - closed Mon
The first stone of Pisa Charterhouse was laid in 1366. It still stands today, solidly anchored to a hill covered with olive trees. The monastery was designed to house 15 Carthusian monks and 60 lay brothers who were there to serve them. The Baroque church fits in harmoniously with the main body of the building, made up of the grand cloisters, the prior's apartment and the cells. The complex was renovated in the 17C. One of the wings of the charterhouse houses the Natural History Museum. Don't miss the top floor with its magnificent Cetacean Gallery.