Royal Burgh of Culross
West Green, Culross KY12 8JH Route Planner
The Green Guide

Useful information

Opening hours

palace: Jul-Aug: 11am-5pm; week Easter: 10am-5pm; Jun: Wed-Mon 11am-5pm; mid Apr-end May and Sep: Sat-Mon 11am-5pm; Oct: Sat-Mon 11am-4pm; closed rest of year - garden: Mon-Fri 10am-4pm, weekends 11am-5pm (closed weekends Nov-Mar)


Built between 1597 and 1611 by George Bruce, an entrepreneurial merchant, the Palace is both a monument to the times (the reign of Jacques VI) and to a man. Despite the foreign origin of many of the materials used (tiles, Baltic pines, Dutch tiles, glass), the buildings are a superb example of domestic architecture of the 16C and 17C. The rooms are small, pine-panelled for insulation, and offer interesting examples of typical decorative painting of the time.


  • Route from this place
  • Directions to this place
  • Route via this place
  • Nearby hotels
  • Nearby restaurants

Things to see and donearby

  • 92 m - Back Causeway, Culross KY12 8JF
  • 95 m - Back Causeway, Culross KY12 8JF
  • The Green Guide
    167 m - Tanhouse Brae, Culross KY12 8HX

Where to sleepnearby

Where to eatnearby

  • From £30 to £80
    MICHELIN 2021
    8.22 km - Champany, Linlithgow EH49 7LU
  • 14.1 km - Unit 8 Halbeath Retail Park, Dunfermline KY11 4LP
  • From £29 to £47
    MICHELIN 2021
    15.6 km - 17 Main Street, North Queensferry KY11 1JT