mid Mar-early Sep: castle: 11am-5pm (in summer 10.30am); early Nov-early Jan: castle 11am-5.30pm (weekends 10am) - last admission 1hr before closing
Located in the middle of a vast 400ha park, home to stags and wild boar, Chatsworth House has been described as a "second Versailles". It contains an extensive collection of works of art procured by the Dukes of Devonshire. The original Chatsworth was built by Sir William Cavendish and Bess of Hardwick, an indomitable character, who gave free rein here to her passion for architecture. Transformed into a Baroque palace in the 17C, Chatsworth was considerably extended between 1820 and 1827.