Apr-Sep: 9.30am-5.30pm; rest of year: daily except Thu and Fri 10am-4pm - closed 25-26 Dec, 1-2 Jan
The site is spectacular: perched high up on a spur overlooking plunging burns, the castle stands out against the backdrop of the Ochil Hills, dominating the valley and town. The castle was built by Colin Campbell, 1st Earl of Argyll (d 1493) and then became the residence of the Campbells because it was conveniently near the royal residences. The main part is the four-storey fortress (late 15C) leading to a raised parapet. The rampart walk commands a splendid view.