Canongate Church
153 Canongate, Edinburgh EH8 8BR Route Planner
The Green Guide

Useful information

Opening hours

Jun-end Sep: 10.30am-4.30pm


Canongate Kirk was built in 1688 for the congregation that King James VII moved from Holyroodhouse Abbey. Above the Flamboyant south façade, note the stag's head bearing a cross, a reminder of the legend of the founding of Holyrood Abbey. In the cemetery there are a few funerary monuments of prominent figures, such as Adam Smith.


  • Route from this place
  • Directions to this place
  • Route via this place
  • Nearby hotels
  • Nearby restaurants

Things to see and donearby

Where to sleepnearby

Where to eatnearby