2
Wisloujscie Fortress
Stara Twierdza 1, Gdansk Route Planner
The Green Guide

Useful information

Opening hours

guided tour only - 10am-4pm

Description

This fine fortress had the vocation of controlling access to the Vistula estuary (and consequently to the whole of Poland), which ships had to enter to get to Gdańsk on the River Motława. Lapped by water, the fortress was originally a Gothic lighthouse tower (1482); fortifications were built around it in 1572 and were reinforced between 1584 and 1587 by Anton van Obberghen. The sea was much closer at that time. Left abandoned for a long time, it has been restored and makes a very photogenic site.

Localisation

  • Route from this place
  • Directions to this place
  • Route via this place
  • Nearby hotels
  • Nearby restaurants

Nearby tourist attractions

Nearby hotels

Nearby restaurants