guided tour 9.30am-5.30pm (Nov-Feb 4.30pm), last admission 30min before closing - closed 24-26 Dec and Jan
This 17C cottage was renovated and became the home of William Wordsworth and his sister Dorothy from 1799-1808. Dove Cottage was a magnet for the Romantic writers Coleridge, Southey and De Quincey. The upper floor includes a "newspaper room" where newspapers were used to keep out the cold. Behind the house, a museum includes manuscripts, souvenirs and paintings about the Lake District.