Mon-Fri 7am-6.15pm, Sat 8am-6.15pm, Sun 7.30am-6.15pm - guided tour available (1hr) by prior booking (pricelist not available)-(01543) 306 150
On a Christian site since at least the 7C, the current building replaced an 11C romanesque cathedral. Begun in 1195, this is a magnificent mixture of the Early English, Decorated and Perpendicular gothic styles. It was badly damaged during the civil war, and was restored in the 17C then renovated by Wyatt in the 18C. From 1857-1901, it was reworked by George Gilbert Scott to return it to its Medieval grandeur.