This is the oldest of London's churches dedicated to the Virgin Mary. Wren modified the church (1681-1682) and gave it its Perpendicular Gothic style. Two out of four of its levels survived the fire. The Inside is endowed with late Perpendicular style arches, to which Wren applied his personal touch. Amongst its 17C furniture, note the baptismal fonts (1682), the pulpit and the oak scabbard (3rd pillar south) sculpted with fruit and flowers (1682) by Grinling Gibbons.