Tue-Sun and Mon Bank Hols 10am-5pm - closed 1 Jan, 24-26 and 31 Dec
Thanks to the Alleyn and Desenfans legacies, the gallery opened in 1814, in a building designed by John Soane. The exterior simplicity of the building contrasts with the ingenious interior layout. The collection includes three Rembrandts, and landscapes and pastoral scenes by Poussin, Lorrain, Watteau and Lancret. Portraits by Gainsborough and Reynolds are the highlights of the collection, as well as works by Van Dyck, Raphaël, Tiepolo, Rubens, Murillo, Le Brun and Francis Bacon.