This small island bears the same name as its better-known counterpart in Normandy. Following the apparition of the archangel Michael at the end of the 5C it has attracted numerous pilgrims. The monastery was transformed into a fortress from the 15C; it then became a private residence when it was purchased by John Aubyn in 1647. The castle features a mix of 14C-18C architectural styles. The port and narrow streets below it are a hive of activity in the busy summer season.