daily except Mon 8.15am-6.45pm - booking compulsory (well in advance)
The former refectory of the convent houses Leonardo da Vinci's famous fresco of The Last Supper, painted between 1485 and 1497, on the request of Ludovic Sforza. The artist opted for a tempera paint, perhaps mixed with oil, and chose the coldest wall in the room. The brightness of The Last Supper, the latest restoration of which was completed in 1999 after 21 years, is a skilful composition, with a trompe-l'oeil extending the real space. Note also the Crucifixion (1495) by Montorfano on the opposite wall.