house: weekends and Mon Bank Hols noon-5pm, guided tour Sun during school hols-1pm and 2pm; garden: 10am-5pm (4pm mid Oct-mid Feb)
The medieval priory was converted into a private house in the 16C which was the ancestral seat of Lord Byron (1788-1824). The 19C rooms include the apartments of Byron and a selection of his manuscripts, memorabilia and portraits. Adjoining the main building is the ruined façade of the priory church, its gabled niche holding a seated figure of the Virgin. The lakes, gardens and park make an attractive setting.