2
Clifford's Tower
Tower Street, York YO1 9SA Route Planner
The Green Guide

Useful information

Opening hours

end Mar-end Sep: 10am-6pm; Oct: 10am-5pm: Nov-Mar: 10am-4pm - closed 24-26 Dec and 1 Jan

Description

Clifford Tower was built in the 13C by Henry III to replace the wooden fort of William the Conqueror - this was burnt down in 1190 by the people who besieged the Jews who had take refuge inside. Formerly occupied by two-storey private apartments, destroyed in the 17C, the inner courtyard is now empty.

Localisation

  • Route from this place
  • Directions to this place
  • Route via this place
  • Nearby hotels
  • Nearby restaurants

Nearby tourist attractions

Nearby hotels

Nearby restaurants